An Introduction to Capoeira Events
“What are capoeira events and what the heck do I do there?”
As a beginner just getting used to training and the movements of capoeira, events like capoeira batizados can be a confusing new world.
What do I do? How do I play? How should I prepare? These are all common questions from someone getting ready for their first event. This is a brief guide providing some useful insight and tips to get ready for your upcoming capoeira event.
Whether this is your 1st or 21st event, these tips will help you be prepared and on track for the event to come...
What to Expect
A capoeira event is an amazing opportunity to learn and grow in the world of capoeira. You get the opportunity to expose yourself to a variety of people, styles, movements and experiences that you wouldn't get just training in your academy.
Capoeira events themselves can vary greatly based on the type of event, but there are some basics elements that almost all share. The most common include:
- New People – Every event will have new people you've never met before. It's a great opportunity to meet others and build a network of fellow capoeiristas from all over.
- Workshops – Capoeira workshops are classes given by different instructors at the event. They can expose you to new movements and ways to train.
- Rodas – Every capoeira event I've been to has had a roda. You can watch others play, or if you're feeling confident, jump in yourself. If you're a beginner, you may have to wait a while to get in on the action.
- Gear and Instruments Sale – Usually the instructors and others will bring capoeira gear and instruments to sell at the event. This is a great chance to stock up.
All these elements provide the chance for you as a capoeirista to expand your knowledge and experience. There is a lot to learn from at events so it's important that you're ready so you can make the most out of them!
How to Prepare
If you follow these simple tips, you'll be on track to making your capoeira event experience as worthwhile as possible:
- Train hard – To really make the most of the rodas and workshops at the event, you need to be in shape. Don't be surprised if training gets harder in class, it prepares your body to handle days full of capoeira at events. Push yourself!
- Save money – Not only do events themselves cost money, but all the gear and instruments do as well. Save up some cash to make sure you have enough for that berimbau you've always wanted to get!
- Ask questions – There's a lot to know about an event: Who's going? How to behave in the roda? When's the party? Make sure to ask questions in class, so you're ready when the big day comes.
- Help out – If your group is hosting the event, make sure to lend a helping hand. Events can take a lot of work to organize and something as simple as paying early or providing housing can go a long way to making the event a success.
- Get excited! - Events are an extremely fun and eye opening experience, especially if it's your first one. Get excited at what you're going to learn and experience from it!
If you train your butt off in class, ask a lot of questions and are pumped for the event, you'll be set to make the most of your event. Once the day of the event comes, it's time to put everything you prepared for into action!
Learn what to do at the event here!
Return from Capoeira Events to Start Playing Capoeira